Most of these documents are pdfs and require the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Please note that unless stated otherwise, these materials relate to England and Wales only.
- CLS Strategy – is this really evidence based policy making?
A new report by ASA questions the extent to which the CLS strategy is really based on evidence. A summary appears in Legal Action (December 2006)
- The Unified Contract
ASA’s response to the Legal Services Commission’s consultation paper (December 2006)
- The Advice Services Alliance’s submission to the Constitutional Affairs Committee’s inquiry into the implementation of the Carter Review
- Legal Aid: a sustainable future – ASA response
The Advice Services Alliance’s response to the Legal Services Commission and Department for Constitutional Affairs consultation paper.
- Legal aid: a sustainable future
A summary of the ASA response (October 2006)
- LSC inundated, DCA listens
- ADR Update no. 19
Recent developments in alternative dispute resolution. (September 2006)
- Carter, the future of legal aid and the NfP sector
ASA has updated its policy briefing summarising the key proposals in the Carter report and the latest LSC/DCA consultation paper on the future of legal aid.
- Carter, the future of legal aid and the NfP sector – a summary
- Concerns about homelessness mediation
ASA reports on the misuses of homelessness mediation by some local authorities. (August 2006)
- Tribunals pilot ADR
ASA summarises some of the latest ADR trials being used in tribunals. (August 2006)
- Legal aid: a sustainable future?
This briefing sets out ASA’s initial response to the proposed changes in legal aid and invites agencies to respond.
- Legal aid: a sustainable future? – a summary (August 2006)
- The case for advice
- Doing the ‘rights’ thing
A debate on mediating in the shadow of the law. In this email exchange, Margaret Doyle (a mediator) and Val Reid (the ASA policy officer for ADR) debate whether mediation is the best way to resolve disputes about discrimination. (June 2006)
- Judges Tell it Like it is
The judiciary has responded to Lord Carter with stern words. Read our summary. (June 2006)
- Case lengths under NfP contracts
An analysis of average case lengths and why you need to know about them (June 2006)
- Issues facing the advice sector
ASA has published a short briefing on issues facing the advice sector as a result of recent changes proposed in relation to legal aid and the CLS. Issues facing the advice sector – a summary (June 2006)
- Preferred Supplier
A summary of ASA’s response to the Legal Services Commission’s conultation paper (June 2006)
- Quality Relationships Delivering Quality Outcomes
ASA’s full response to the LSC’s Preferred Supplier consultation paper. (June 2006)
- New approaches to housing disputes
ASA comments on the Law Commission’s paper Housing: Proportionate Dispute Resolution. (June 2006)
- Advicenow guides: helping advisers and advice service users –
Evaluation of advicenow’s internet-based information guides. ASA’s Advicenow project has published the results of an independent evaluation of their innovative information on the law and rights. (May 2006) Executive summary
- ADR Update no.18
Recent Developments in Alternative Dispute Resolution. (May 2006)
- Case Lengths under NfP Contracts
This report provides a detailed analysis of the length of cases conducted by NfP agencies in 2004-05 in welfare benefits, debt, housing and employment. (May 2006)
- Causes of Action – Civil Law & Social Justice
The Legal Services Research Centre has recently published the second edition of this pioneering study. We highlight some of the major findings. (April 2006)
- Estimating the Size And Nature of The Civil Legal Advice Sector in England and Wales
A summary of research attempting to estimate the size and nature of the civil legal advice sector in England and Wales. (April 2006)
- Tribunals for diverse users
A summary of reseach on access, expectations, experiences and outcomes in the Appeals Service, Criminal Injuries Compensation Appeals Panel and Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal. (April 2006)
- The CLS Strategy
Following consultation last year, the LSC has published its proposals for the future of the CLS. We pick out the main points and consider the implications. (April 2006)
- The LSC Preferred Supplier Consultation
The LSC has published a consultation paper on its proposals to roll out the preferred supplier scheme. ASA summarises and comments. (April 2006)
- 2006 Conference Report
- ADR Update no. 17
Recent Developments in Alternative Dispute Resolution. (January 2006)